Monday, April 23, 2007

Jam my food, baby

There’s this show on the Food Network (the Canadian variant, at least.) called ‘Food Jammers’. It is very, very highly entertaining. These three guys must be the ultimate MacGuyver smokers. One of the Food Jammers, Nobu Adilman, even played a drug dealer on Trailer Park Boys (see?).

The basic premise of any given episode is this: they take something relatively simple to cook (e.g. pizza, tacos, etc.), and come up with some completely gratuitous, far-fetched, over-the-top, convoluted method of alternately preparing said foodstuffs. They built this gyroscope-thingy out of old bike wheel rims to cook a chicken over a campfire. In one episode they built a taco vending machine. Now, I’m as big a fan of making anything and everything accessible through handy, coin-operated slots as the next girl, but even I think this may be taking things just a smidge too far. Damn cool though.

All my respect goes out to these crafty young culinary engineers. Right now – I’m watching them make their own cheese!!! They’re going to build a mini cheese cave in their loft. I want a mini-cheese cave!

On second thought, maybe that's a bad idea - I'm having enough issues with mice as it is.

I have enough trouble summoning the will to drag my lazy ass to the freezer to throw some nasty frozen pseudo-dinner in to the microwave. But these guys almost inspire me to take some gastronomic initiative. I think I’ll eat a bag of Chewy Chips Ahoy instead, though.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger