Wednesday, May 23, 2007

More Piratey Goodness

Mythbusters just did a pirate special. 2 hour special, me mateys! As a keen pirate afficianado myself, I took careful notes. However, the episode did lack any exploration of the ninjas vs. pirates aspect of things. Don't worry though, I've filled that part in below.

Things we learned:

Eyepatches – not actually due to eye gouging (which does take out some of the romance). Apparently, the theory behind eyepatches was that pirates could always have one eye ready for nightvision, so if they had to scoot below deck during the day, there keen pirate vision would be even more powerful when the flicked off the patch.

How clever is that! Ninjas don’t have eye patches.

Mythbusters verdict: I wasn’t paying attention, but they made Adam run through an obstacle course looking like an idiot, which I enjoyed.

Rum – it’s not just for drinking anymore. Rum, as laundry detergent? Also, urine, apparently, can be distilled to ammonia, which can then be used to clean your clothes. YOU CALL THAT CLEAN?!?! Ick.

Mythbusters verdict: Busted! Rum is makes bad detergent. Well thank goodness! That there’s meant to be drunk! The wee wee did a good job getting the blood out. Interestingly, the overall worst performer was the modern detergent.

Ninjas don’t drink. Losers.

I liked the part where they shot cannon balls at the dead pigs. (which were dressed as pirates, of course!)

Myth: Ninjas are cooler than pirates. My verdict – so BUSTED!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger